16 August 2009

In awe ...

This has turned out to be my word of the month. It seems to crop into my sentences at surprising and unexpected turns; it pops out of my mouth when I least expect it - even my daughter seems to think saying "awe" is awesome !!


AWE n.
1. A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might: We felt awe when contemplating the works of Bach. The observers were in awe of the destructive power of the new weapon.
2. Archaic.
a. The power to inspire dread.
b. Dread.
tr.v., awed, aw·ing, awes.
To inspire with awe.

[Middle English, from Old Norse agi.]



Abraham Joshua Heschel wrote, "There are three ways in which we may relate ourselves to the world: we may exploit it, we may enjoy it, we may accept it in awe".

I couldn't agree more.

No comments: