03 August 2009

In the scheme of things - how small we are ...

Day 2 is Surreal Sunday and Tami has asked us to share a surreal or dreamlike story. Hmmm - this one takes some thinking about. Since "surreal" has a definition of being distinctly odd or bizarre, finding a story to share (that would be fit for a public blog !!) might be difficult; in fact after pondering this for some time I am hard pressed to think of ever being in a bizarre situtation of any kind - .... but wait I can think of one.

I saw the Northern Lights (aurora borealis) when I was staying north of Edmonton, Canada during the winter of 1984. At the time I was told the display before me was not classed as a particularly spectacular presentation but it totally blew me away.

The sight mesmerized me; deep three-dimensional multi colored layers of brilliant light that rapidly changed through a kaleidoscope of colours. Satiny wave upon wave of illumination across the dark horizon that danced and flickered, coiling up and then down and swirling around in ever changing patterns that shimmered across the night sky. It was one of the most oddly amazing sights I have ever seen and perhaps even stranger, was the hissing, crackling sound, that reverberated in the air around me. I was caught in a surreal moment in time – one I will never forget.




5 comments:

see me said...

OOOOooh eee that is one amazing photo and experience. Well done on all front Jane!

mollie said...

This would have blown me away too Jane ... I've never seen the aurora borealis, but a trip north is on my "to do" list!

Amy Kingsford said...

wow....I love the photo it really compliments youe surreal experience!

Mary C. said...

I have always wanted to see this. Thank you for describing it. It must have been so awesome.
Also, I read your jokes to my dh when you post them. We crack up. Thank you.
Mary

Tamarra said...

I hope to some day see this. I imagine it feels exactly as you described